Saturday, January 28, 2012

Battle of York (Toronto)


The battle of York is in my opinion the biggest loss for Canada during the war of 1812. Believe me when I say that it wasn’t that impressive by any means. I mean don’t get me wrong Great Brittan and Canada clearly lost. The American’s has successfully taken control of what was considered ‘upper Canada’. The American militia had eventually made its way up to York which was being used as a part time home for our nations government.

The British were outnumbered roughly 3 to 1, and the city was caught off guard. Woman and children had minutes to hide and find a safe place before arson and looting had begun throughout the city. The biggest loss was that of the several government buildings in the area. York shared its place as a part time parliament with Montreal and therefore I believe their success was not nearly as impressive as they believed. The fact that Canada had two parliaments proves that the destruction of one in York meant little to Canadians in the end. The American’s didn’t have much to brag about. They caught Great- Britain off guard with a surprise attack on the unsuspecting city and the battle was short lived. Now I know I’m Canadian and my opinion might seem to be biased, but ask yourself this. What seems like a bigger accomplishment to you? The destruction of a few government buildings in Canada OR the arson and degradation of the White house, home to the president of the United States of America? 

The video below gives more detail on the attacking and defending strategy as well as the reaction of Canada afterwards.


1 comment:

  1. I really liked how you showed not just what happened with the soldiers, but also with the women and children. I like also how you put a video at the end to help people visualise the attack.

    ReplyDelete