Saturday, January 28, 2012

The war in the eyes of a Canadian


The war of 1812 happens to be my favorite war to study, and I hope all of my followers have learned a lot about it and are interested in learning more. I just want to apologize if I seemed to be biased in my past posts, I am Canadian and therefore I do take pride in our accomplishments. I mean come on we remained strong against multiple attempts of an American invasion with the help of the British. We were able to keep everything that was ours prior to the war and really this was Canada’s first big win! The war of 1812 may be considered the “forgotten war” in the eyes of the British, and many people both Canadian and American know so little about it. The war was mostly controversial due to the fact that there was no clear winner. Every party involved won something thanks to their efforts, though America’s reward was only sentimental. The war of 1812 really shaped America into what it is today, if anything went differently things now would be completely different. We should all be thankful now that Canada and the USA gets along now!

If any of you wish to inform yourselves more about the War of 1812 or any of the battles in specific I highly recommend watching the documentary made by the History Channel. I’ve seen it multiple times online and everything is obviously historically accurate and interesting to any history lover. Also, Fort Malden ( Fort Amherstburg) is holding the War of 1812 Bicentennial this summer if anyone's interested in seeing real life re-ennactments and having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment